The 2018 Range Rover Velar is the fourth model to join the company’s portfolio of luxury SUVs. It will slot in between the Evoque and the Sport. The Velar will make its global debut on March 7 at 87th Annual Geneva Motor Show. When it goes on sale, the mid-size Velar will compete against other luxury SUVs like the Land Rover Discovery, Discovery Sport, and the Jaguar F-Pace.
The Velar is an all-new design based on JLR’s lightweight aluminum architecture, which it shares with the F-Pace. The skeleton of the Velar consists of approximately 80 percent aluminum and the remaining 20 percent is composed of magnesium and steel. When compared to the Range Rover Sport, the Velar is approximately two inches shorter in wheelbase and overall length. The Velar has a wheelbase of 113.2 inches and an overall length of 189.0 inches. However, the Velar is roughly 17 inches longer than the Evoque.
The 2018 Range Rover Velar offers three engine choices: a 2.o L Ingenium four-cylinder diesel motor with 180 horsepower, a 2.0 L Ingenium four-cylinder gasoline motor with 247 horsepower, and a 3.0 L supercharged gasoline V6 with 380 horsepower. Regardless of the engine choice, all Velar models come standard with ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel-drive. Land Rover estimates that V6 powered Velar models will sprint to 60 mph from standstill in 5.3 seconds. Top speed is electronically restricted to 155 mph.
Suspension setup on the Velar consists of control arms up front and multilink design out back. Four-cylinder Velar models are fitted with steel coil springs, while the six-cylinder models feature air springs and offer an optional electronically controlled locking rear differential. The maximum ground clearance of Range Rover Velar models equipped with air suspension is 9.9 inches and provides a fording depth of 25.6 inches. Velar models with steel coil springs have a maximum ground clearance of 8.4 inches and a fording depth of 233.6 inches. The Velar features Land Rover’s Terrain Response 2, Low-Traction Launch, Hill-descent control, and All-Terrain Progress Control. Together, these aides enable the Velar to tackle most rough terrains, but it does not feature a low-range transfer case.
Up front, the 2018 Velar features the smallest LED headlamp units ever fitted to a Land Rover product. The sleek side profile features flush door handles which help the Velar earn a drag coefficient rating of 0.32, making it the most aerodynamically efficient Land Rover model yet. All Velar models come fitted with a standard sliding panoramic glass roof.
The interior design of the Velar is the product of “reductionism”, which results in a simple and uncluttered layout. The Velar also features “Hidden until lit” controls, which only illuminate when a particular button is touched. The center console features two, 10-inch screens that control the radio, navigation, HVAC and other functions.
Like other Range Rover models, the Velar features many high-quality materials throughout the cabin. But, there is one other interesting option. Besides the usual choice of leather upholstery, the Velar will offer optional seat upholstery made from sustainable resources. The material, developed with assistance from Kvadrat, a European textile manufacturer, will initially be offered in Dapple Gray color paired with synthetic suede inserts of Ebony or Light Oyster.
Pricing and Availability
The Range Rover Velar First Edition models, available for the launch year and limited to approximately 500 units, come in a choice of three monochrome colors: Corris Gray, Silicon Silver, and Flux Silver. Flux Silver is an additional cost exclusive satin finish and is applied at the Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicles Operations facility. The First Edition models also include a full-leather interior, a copper-weave carbon-fiber trim finisher, perforated Windsor two-tone leather seats, a 1600-watt Meridian signature audio system, and special 22-inch split-spoke wheels (21-inch wheels are standard) with a diamond-turned finish. All First Edition Velar models are powered by the 380 horsepower, 3.0 L supercharged V6 and retails for $90,295.
Four-cylinder 2018 Range Rover Velar models start at $50,895 for the standard trim version. S trim starts at $55,695, the R-Dynamic SE trim starts at $61,095, and the R-Dynamic HSE starts at $68,585. Diesel powered Velar models does not offer the standard trim, bu the S trim starts at $57,195, the R-Dynamic SE trim starts at $62,595, and the R-Dynamic HSE starts at $70,095. The V6 powered Velar in S trim starts at $65,195, the R-Dynamic SE trim starts at $70,595, and the R-Dynamic HSE trim starts at $78,095.
Land Rover dealers are taking orders for 2018 Velar as you read this and deliveries of the models will start in midsummer.
Information and Image Source: Land Rover UK