The Ford Mustang has been in production since 1964, when it debuted as a 1964.5 model at the New York Auto Show. This is good news for the Mustang designers and product development managers because they have more than 50 years of Mustang’s legacy to take some inspirations and apply to the current and future Mustang products. The latest generation of the Ford Mustang was an all-new model for the 2015 year, but that has not stopped Ford engineers from drastically improving the model for the 2016 model. So, without any further ado, I present you the 10 Things to know about the 2016 Ford Mustang to list all the major upgrades the Mustang receives for the 2016 model year.
1) For 2016, Ford has reintroduced turn signals in the hood vents. The vents were first made available in the 1967 Mustang, and they were featured on many later models for many years. This feature is standard on all 2016 Ford Mustang GT models.
2) Visually, the 2016 Mustang is now available with classic black or silver over-the-roof stripes and are offered on most color and trim levels.
3) 2016 Mustang GT and EcoBoost models can now be ordered with painted black roof. This feature was initially exclusive to the 2012-13 Ford Mustang Boss 302.
4) Ford has reintroduced the California Special trim package for the 2016 Mustang GT Premium. Checking the option box for this trim nets the buyer a range of exclusive cosmetic changes for both the interior and the exterior. On the outside, the California Special package adds an exclusive 19-inch black aluminum wheels, hood and side stripes, a black spoiler, darkened taillight accents, black-painted mirrors and hood vents, an aggressive front splitter, and a unique front grille. Inside, the California Special package adds leather seats with suede inserts and red contrasting stitching, aluminum dashboard finish with special badging and unique door panel inserts. To finish off the list of features included in this package, under the hood, the California Special package adds an exclusive strut-tower brace.
5) The Pony package returns on the 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium models. This package adds a unique set of 19-inch polished aluminum wheels, a classic “pony” logo on the grille, a side stripe, and chrome window surrounds.
6) A new Black Accent package adds special 19-inch black wheels, a black decklid spoiler, darkened taillight trim, and blackened pony and 5.0 badges for the GT models.
7) 2016 Ford Mustang convertibles equipped with the manual transmission can now be optioned with the Performance package. This package was previously only available on Mustang coupé models. The performance package adds more aggressive chassis tuning, which includes additional body braces, a sportier suspension setup, larger rear sway bar, and stiffer front springs. Additional performance upgrades include a larger radiator to cool the 5.0 L V8 during hard track driving and the front brake rotors are now clamped with 6-piston Brembo calipers. To enhance the overall feel of the Mustang, the stability control system, ABS, and electric powering steering also receive a more aggressive tune as well. The final feature listed in the Performance package includes a 3.73 axle ratio Torsen limited-slip differential along with standard 19-inch aluminum wheels, which are wrapped with summer performance tires.
8) The instrument panel on all 2016 Ford Mustangs gain a new aluminum trim along with auxiliary gauges.
9) All 2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium models receive the next generation Microsoft Sync infotainment systems as standard.
10) The 2016 Mustang with all of its packages will be available beginning later this year.
So, there you have it, these are the 10 things you need to know about the heavily updated 2016 Ford Mustang. I am sure that Mustang enthusiasts around the world will appreciate all the features which have returned on the new model and this will definitely create more Mustang fans in the future generations.
Image and Information Source: Ford Motor Company